I have finally started work at GrEAT MEals Diner on Wednesday. Not to say I am excited to start work, but I need the money to pay my expensive housing rental fees.
Some facts I learnt about people here in South Carolina:
- Apparently the law for buying alcoholic drinks in HRP is damn strict. Even if I know that man is WAY above 21 years old, I MUST see his ID. No ID, no drink. And only ONE alcoholic drink per ID. It’s madness.
- The cooks here are mostly blacks, the people here are trying to make me speak louder and ruder. One of the managers there was trying to train me to shout, just like the people there. Which I cant do it. He asked me what would I shout if I need onion rings from the kitchen.
So I said, “Onion Rings please!”
And they were like “No, no, no.” It should be WHERE’S THE ONION RINGS?!”
I mean seriously, I don’t know why but I just cant do it. To me, politeness is important. Or maybe I need time to warm up to them.
And that’s why I said, I am not able to deliver that kick-ass attitude.
Haha, I am so not a rocker.
- And I am a lousy cashier. I made a couple mistakes, and created a big fuss after work because there were checks and money don’t tally with the register. But I know I am not all at fault, some of the supervisors just refunded customers their money if they dislike the food, and they are not sure how to void the checks and stuff. But seriously, I felt really really upset, because I hate to underperform and hate it when people think my intelligence level is lower than what I truly am. Not that my supervisors think I am so, but I think nobody will expect us to be undergraduates, especially when I am doing sai kang.
- I realize people here like to make their instructions really clear, even when they are very simple.
Stating an example: an action of washing this container.
A Singaporean trainer will say this” Just wash this container with sanitizer, dry it with a towel and put it back.”
People here will do this “You have to wash this container, take off the lid, wash it in this sink. Warm water is on the left, cold water is on the right. (it was labeled by the way). Turn it on, wash it with water. Then wash it with sanitizer which is this tube and then find a clean towel and wipe it dry. Then put the lid back on and put it back in place.”
I do know its their way of doing things, but they are really detailed! Haha.
- Ashley, Tony’s personal assistant was telling me that we must get used to the male Americans, cos they are really horny. And they show it.
And now seriously, after just 3 days on the job, I do agree.
Especially when they just drank a beer or two.
Some may say, they are very straightforward, while others will just say they are extremely flirtatious.
- It is really common, for strangers here to just go “How’re you doing. I am ______.” And start to ask all about you. They are really curious about your country and what do we normally do on our off days and stuff. I guess because people here lead a pretty laidback lifestyle and have lots of time to talk to people. This is something pretty nice, and something rare back in Singapore.
- But the pathetic thing is the percentage of Americans who know of the existence of Singapore or that it is NOT from China or Thailand is like maybe 5%. I mean, we may be just an island or a red dot on the map, but to me, the success of Singapore has far exceeded Americans. And I know Joanne will be the first one to agree with me. In fact, (sad to say and no offence), I find that the standard of education of many Singaporeans is way better than the States.
- One of the things I noted is the Asian population here in Myrtle Beach:
Before coming here, I did some online research and found out that about 7% of the population here is Asian. But despite being here for approximately 2 weeks, the number of people who looks Asian that I saw(haven’t even met ANY) can be counted with just one hand:
I seriously think either that the statistics is not accurate, or they all just stay at the other end of Myrtle Beach or Conway.
and before i edit the HTML which is very very screwed up, this is posted by Wan Ling. (: