VINTAGE;
rock on!
I’m having sore eyes now! According to my colleagues at the park, my illness is called “pink eye”. The other day, my eyes were itching like crazy and I decided to complain to Brandon about it.
Joanne: Brandon!! My eyes damn red right!!??
Brandon: Does it itch a lot?
Joanne: Yes, I’m ready to scratch my eyes out.
Brandon: I think you got pink eye. U better get the EMTs to look at it. They will send you home for this because it is very contagious.
Joanne: DON’T! I don’t want to go home yet!!
But well, Brandon had already shouted to Jason to call the EMTs (park doctors) down and within a couple of minutes, I had like 2 of them surrounding me inspecting my eyes. But they decided it was not that bad yet and used eye drops to flush out my eyes and told me that I could get back to work.
But the pain was so unbearable, I decided to wear my glasses to work for the next day. My friends should know how much I HATE wearing glasses out. In Singapore, I try not to even step out of home with my glasses on. Because I look like a four-eyed squinty little monster. =( my conversation with Tony- my supervisor, the next day when I went to work with glasses.
Joanne: Yes. I’m wearing glasses.
Tony: I noticed. You look cute!
Joanne: YA RIGHT! I bet now you are starting to imagine Asians as lower class beings because of how alien I look.
Tony: LAUGHS
This is only one example. Some said it’s a “nice fashion statement” Deon told me that I look sophisticated and stylish. Sam said: “You look good in glasses!” Tiara was “I like your glasses jo!” Jeremy said something about how I look even cuter with glasses I think. SOBS. I feel that Americans are so nice. They all know I look hellish in glasses but all still tried to say such comments to make me feel better about myself. Of course, their comments made me feel much better about myself and I wore my glasses to work everyday to date. I guess I have to keep wearing it till my sore eyes heal completely. Yuka from Singapore was funnier. I was complaining to her about having to wear glasses to work. And she told me that it doesn’t matter because I will not be seeing these Americans anymore. So I asked her: “What about you? you are from Singapore” HAHA. And she said then, she’s the only one laughing at me. =(
Was standing at the Greet position that day, when the NUS Singaporean girls walked passed me. Joanna spotted me and I heard her telling the rest in Chinese: “She’s wearing her glasses! And then she shouted to me: “Joanne, you very black!!!” and I just whined back.
Last Friday, me and Wanling had our off days. Went down to Barefoot Landing to “look see look see” Spent $1.25 USD to take a bus down to 79th Avenue which was the furthest the bus could bring us. Unfortunately for us, it was raining heavily when we alighted from the bus, so we ran to a nearby clinic to borrow a phone. The doctor was very nice and called a cab for us. The cab fare for $18USD to Barefoot Landing from 79th Avenue!! So expensive. The funny thing was Barefoot Landing had nothing much. But we were craving for the Wild Wings Café there as the Singaporean girls were telling us how yummy the wings there were.FOOD! I like the “traditional buffalo wings” but not the “Wild West Wings”. The chicken tenders were good too. Haha because they reminded me of “gu lu york”- Chinese sweet and sour pork. Laughs. The classic dish was the onion rings. Initially, we did not order onion rings at all. But Wan noticed that the onion rings of the guest on the other table looked extremely tempting. They were huge. So we decided to pamper ourselves and ordered for ourselves. WOAH. Biggest onion rings I have ever eaten. They were even bigger than the dunkin donuts we had the other time! =S
Saw some tigers there as well. They were so adorable!!
Walked around barefoot landing for awhile. I concluded that Barefoot Landing is very much like Broadway at the Beach. Except that BL has nothing for the younger crowd. I did not even leave the place with any new items! All I bought there was a packed of poptarts which looked really nice and sweet! (: Wanling bought a mini umbrella though.
The journey home was the most interesting journey back. Both of us went to the customer service centre and asked to borrow a phone so that we can call a cab back. The lady behind the desk told us that the couple right in front of us was going downtown too and we should share a cab together. So we approached the Canadian couple and the four of us shared a cab. We were taking back to 79th Ave while they were going back to the beach. When me and Wan alighted, we were so afraid. Everywhere was dark and we knew we would just die of worry if the bus comes really late. We were so afraid that we might miss the last bus. Luckily, we did manage to catch the last tram and the driver on the tram called the last bus for us and told them to wait for us. Hence, when we reached the transfer point, the bus was waiting for us to board. HAPPY! I don’t think I was ready to spend even more money on another cab fare back.
Well, that was about it. Life’s Good! (:
JOANNE-
posted by *joanne- @ 10:22 AM